5.10.06


She was the pillar of the family.
She was the one who always stood up for us.
She was the one who looked after many of us when we were young.
She was our most loved relative.
She was my aunt.
She was our kor kor.


Ever since i was born, i knew her, she knew me.
I practically grew up beside her. Most of us did. I remember being in std 1. i used to go over to her house everyday after school.
having my lunch there, spending my whole day either watching tv or sleeping while waiting for my parents to pick me up after work.
Many a times i used to make her upset. Because she was a perfectionist. Always wanting the house to be spotless clean.
Being the young child i was back then, i leave a trail of mess behind me everywhere i go.

Then as i grew older, i started to remember things. Remembering the times spent with my cousins there, on the old old swing. The dogs
she cared for, Roger, Ronnie, Lasie, Jenny. And the many cats and kittens she brought in. Being an animal lover, she would always
see to it that they got wat they needed. Treating them like her own children. Seeing them die was hard for her, she loved them so dearly.

Cleaning the house everyday without fail. Every tile was swept, mopped and cleaned at least twice a day. You used to use a towel and a bucket
to clean the floors. Then i guess time vaught up and u resorted to using mops. Even that, you weren't satisfied after cleaning once.

Life wasn't so easy on you kor. I know. We know. We used to talk everytime i was there. You telling me about how hard life is and how
unfair things can be, and me either agreeing or comforting you. You meant alot to all of us. You meant so much more to Claire, Tina, Mas,
Linda and the rest.

Your love for us never hid itself. Always being the one who cared for us most. When amah passed away, we knew it would be hardest on you
because you were the closest to her. Caring for her every single day she was bed-riden. I tried to play a role. Helping out in ways i could.
But comparing to what you do, i can never accomplish such selflessness.

After years of hardship, you finally got ill. Coming down with stomach ulcer due to lack of food intake. We thought that you would be alright after a few days spent in the hospital.
Not being able to see through that iron mask of yours hiding the pain and suffering you were experiencing.
And you keeping your pain all to yourself, not telling a soul. Having comfort in the assurance that all this will end.

Then Death knocked on the door. God called you home. You were no more.

The news of your death came as a shock to all. Mostly because we visited you just 6 hours before. I promised to go over and keep you company
the following day, making sure you were alright and at ease. But i didn't get the chance to do so. The only time and chance after so long to repay
your kindness was stolen from me.

Now that you are gone, the house will be quiet. Very quiet.

Rest in peace kor. We love you.

As claire had written, "We shall continue you legacy.", So we shall.







Rest in peace kor



Life is like a vapour

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home